ASK For It!August 1, 2017
To get everything you want in life, you need the courage to speak up and voice your desires. Let’s talk about creating success by asking for it!
“You get in life what you have the courage to ask for.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
“Ask for what you want, and be prepared to get it!” ~ Maya Angelou
“If you don’t open your mouth, you open your pocketbook.” ~ Mary Shagen (my grandmother)
ASK For It!
It’s easy to view success as a solitary journey – something to achieve on your own. But the fundamental truth is: Many goals can only be met with help from others. That’s where the simple habit of asking for it comes into play. Asking for what you want allows you take control of your life and accomplish your greatest desires!
Ask & Ye Shall Receive
Why is it so hard to ask for what you want? You may fear rejection or conflict; it could be your pride talking, saying you should be able to succeed on your own. Or you dread imposing on others, hoping you won’t have to ask at all. Whatever your mental roadblocks, it’s time to step out of your comfort zone, and start building the life-changing habit of asking for what you want!
The Art of Asking
People who ask for what they want usually believe in what they’re asking for, inspiring drive and determination in their pursuit. Before you ask others to join in, take time to make sure what you seek aligns with your purpose and values.
Getting what you want often depends on how you ask for it. When asking, be direct and specific. Assume the person you’re asking will be delighted to help you! To get them to say “Yes!” clearly state the amount of time, energy, and/or money it will take so they know exactly what you’re asking of them.
If you feel sheepish about asking, consider accompanying your ask with an offer. As Zig Ziglar said, “You can get everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want.” A reputation for generosity – with your time, connections, or knowledge – will inspire positive responses to your requests.
Finally, have faith to ask for things on a broader scale — and be ready to receive! Your thoughts and energy create your reality. By asking the universe to meet your needs, you help make your desires a reality. Believe you are worthy of receiving what you want, whether it’s a raise, a date, an additional service or discount, an opportunity to shine at work, or a favor from a friend. Trust and vulnerability are key to making your requests a reality!
Asking is a skill you can hone over time. The more you ask, the easier it becomes. Practice by making requests when the stakes are low and the potential for success is high. Commit to asking for at least one thing every week. One thing is for sure: If you don’t ask, the answer will always be “No.”
How to Ask For It!
- Ask with conviction. Before you ask for something, make sure you’re clear in your heart and mind about what you want – and why. Once you know, it’s so much easier to ask! Practice asking with a confident voice and body language.
- Ask nicely. Ask with a smile and say please and thank you – no matter what answer you get.
- Ask directly. Don’t beat around the bush, drop hints, or “dilute” your request. You may think it polite, but you’re actually making the other person’s job harder. People aren’t mind readers! Don’t be demanding, but do be direct.
- Ask fearlessly. Fear can hold you back from asking for and getting what you want. Hesitance doesn’t inspire confidence in others, so crush your fears and ask boldly for what you want!
- Ask patiently. Make your request, and then pause. Don’t let nerves push you to fill the space with needless excuses, justifications, or apologies. Give people time to consider your request, then let them make the first move.
- Ask persistently. Of course, not every request will be granted. If it’s something you really want, don’t give up! Try a new tactic or wait and have another go at it.
At Leap Forward Coaching our process will help you cultivate the courage and the confidence to ask for what you want – helping you to create your most successful and fulfilled life.