Gratitude: learning how to cultivate happiness and how to appreciate the gifts of life.
Gratitude is a state of appreciation, thankfulness and acknowledgement. Learning to live a more grateful life can help you focus on the things that matter most, and use positive thinking to overcome obstacles which may keep you from attaining your goals. Be a person of gratitude and notice the positive effect it has on you and others.
Thank you for taking the time to read this special Thanksgiving issue of the Leap Forward Coaching, LLC e-newsletter. This newsletter is inspired by clients I have worked with to achieve a richer and more fulfilling life. I hope you find at least one suggestion or thought to inspire and encourage you. In this edition, our topic is Gratitude: learning how to cultivate happiness and how to appreciate the gifts of life. Happy Thanksgiving from Leap Forward Coaching! In gratitude, Melanie Ott
"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." ~G.K. Chesterton
What Are You Grateful For?
With the rush of the holiday season fast approaching, there is no better time to stop and think about what you are grateful for and give thanks.
What is gratitude? Gratitude is a state of appreciation, thankfulness and acknowledgment. Taking time to focus on what we are grateful for is a worthwhile pursuit, worthy of year-round attention. Positive psychology has long established that people with a strong disposition toward gratitude have higher levels of well-being. Grateful people are happier, have more vitality, and experience greater life satisfaction.
Like most emotional states, gratitude is created by our thoughts, the patterns of which are life-long habits. In the hustle and bustle of life it is easy to take for granted or overlook the positive things that happen to us. The more we focus on gratitude, the more we create it for ourselves.
So how do we become grounded in gratitude and create an ongoing spirit of Thanksgiving?
Tips for Cultivating Gratitude:
Take these powerful steps:
- Give Thanks: The easiest and quickest way to show your gratitude is to say "Thank you." Find opportunities throughout your day to express appreciation to others. Noticing and acknowledging good things makes for a happier, more appreciative mindset.
- Attitude of Gratitude: When a negative thought or feeling comes to mind, catch yourself and purposely shift your thoughts to something positive. Practice this for a week and see what happens. Empower yourself to be the master of your thoughts and feelings.
- Create a Gratitude List or Journal: Write down 100 things you are thankful for. Give yourself 15-20 minutes to write as much as possible – there are no wrong answers. Do this at least once a month; the more often you do it the easier it will become. On a smaller scale, end each day by listing three things you are grateful for. Notice how acknowledging your gratitude makes you feel.
Be a person of gratitude: Practice recognizing the gifts of life, give and receive gratitude from others, and notice the positive effect it has on you and others.
Focus on the Future …
What does focus have to do with career and life planning? Simply put: If you are caught in a deluge of constant communication, you may be unable to create and effectively manage the time you need to think strategically about your future, filter the information your brain is receiving, and focus on things that are truly important.
That’s where Leap Forward Coaching can help. We have a process that will help you live more skillfully by becoming aware of the internal and external factors that shape your self-image and worldview and your ability to see your full potential for success and happiness.
Further Reading on Gratitude …
- The Zen Habits Gratefulness Challenge: "Gratitude is a balanced response to a life filled with highs and lows."
- Seeing Life Through Gratitude Glasses: "Shifting your thoughts to positive and constructive ones."
- Make a Gratitude Adjustment
If I have piqued your curiosity about the value of coaching for you or someone you know, please contact me by phone or email for a complimentary coaching meeting to explore what coaching can do for you. Please feel free to forward this email to anyone you think it may benefit.
Leap Forward Coaching, LLC
[…] about will never happen. Make the most of today, valuing time as one of your greatest resources. Be grateful for all that is good in the […]
[…] from the personal to the professional. We will guide you on a purposeful path of intentionality and gratitude that will help you glean the beauty and meaning of every moment in your life’s […]
[…] grateful. Gratitude is the surest way to battle discontentment when you find yourself struggling with comparison. It’s […]
[…] Few things are as helpful to cultivating a positive mindset as living gratefully – and one of the key habits of grateful people is keeping a gratitude journal. Whether it’s noting one thing a day or ten, reminding yourself of […]
[…] and professionally. We will guide you on a purposeful path of self-care, help you pursue happiness, practice gratitude, and implement other changes that will help you move from surviving to […]
[…] of the greatest practices to spark joy is gratitude. Consciously and consistently choosing to focus on the good — on your blessings, on what you have […]