There are times when climbing out of the mud of negativity seems impossible. It’s not always easy to summon the mental power to argue logically and calmly against your own negative thought patterns.
So here’s a hint to turn negativity on its head: Instead of confronting negative thoughts directly, focus on the positive by filling your head with good thoughts and joyful actions. By focusing on the good, you can crowd out negativity, leaving joy and satisfaction in its wake.
Here are a few simple tips to bring in positivity and crowd out negativity:
- Fill up on positivity. Saying no to negativity requires more than just avoiding depressing news reports, negative people, and critical thoughts. You also need to actively fill the hole that is left with positive content. Seek out humor and good news, surround yourself with cheerful people, and repeat mantras of self-love and acceptance.
- Create jolts of joy. Make a list of activities, people, and situations that you make you happy and put a smile on your face. For greater joy, take time out to create those awesome experiences.
- Share the joy. Positive experiences and emotions are compounded when shared with others. Cultivate strong personal relationships and share joy with others.
- Make time for simple pleasures. Taking time to savor life’s goodness provides balance and restores harmony. Be sure to pause over a good meal, a piece of chocolate, time spent with friends, or a walk in nature.
- Practice gratitude. Make it a practice to count your blessings each day. As you begin or end your day, remind yourself of three things for which you are grateful. Not only will you feel better in the moment, it will shift your entire focus in a positive direction.
“What we focus on, we empower and enlarge. Good multiplies when focused upon. Negativity multiplies when focused upon. The choice is ours: which do we want more of?” ~ Julia Cameron