As we kick off another year, let’s talk about Getting Focused. Focus is about getting your mind, energy, and enthusiasm laser-pointed on what’s most important to you — then honing in on the goals that will drive and support your success.
Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work at hand. The sun’s rays do not burn until brought to a focus. — Alexander Graham Bell
It’s not what’s happening to you now or what has happened in your past that determines who you become. Rather, it’s your decisions about what to focus on, what things mean to you, and what you’re going to do about them that will determine your ultimate destiny. — Anthony Robbins
Get Focused to Change Your Life
The new year is a time for change and new beginnings. It’s about inspiration for a fresh start — clearing away the cobwebs to create laser-sharp focus that will point us unwaveringly in the direction of our dreams.
Lack of focus can keep us from achieving personal and career success. We know what we want to do: start a new business, take up a new hobby, travel more, learn a new language. Unfortunately life gets in the way, and the distractions of every day living — bills, family, careers — take our focus away from our dreams and goals. It doesn’t have to be that way.
Focus on What Moves You
To be truly focused and successful in all your endeavors, focus on what moves you. If you’re not drawn to a goal or dream, you’re likely to find yourself wavering and distracted — the enemy of focus. So if “find a new job” or “start
an exercise plan” are on your list of goals for 2014, and you find yourself dreading the process, consider whether or not you deeply value the outcome. Focus and progress is nearly impossible if your spirit isn’t moved by the end
Simplicity Drives Focus
Inspirational author Ann Voskamp wrote, “Simplicity is ultimately a matter of focus.” I believe the opposite is true as well. Focus is a matter of simplicity. Think about a laser pointer: it can only be focused on one thing at a time. Now, humans are much more complex and capable than a laser pointer. And yet when you start feeling distracted and unfocused, odds are good that you’re trying to point the “laser” of your energy at too many things at one time.
Instead of trying to accomplish five to ten goals at a time, why not concentrate on one or two? Keep your focus clean and simple to remain sharp and on-task. Don’t worry that you’re losing opportunities or slacking off. There will be plenty of time to accomplish new goals, once the current ones are crossed off your list. I’ll bet you’ll achieve your results with greater calmness, mental clarity, and efficiency than if your mind and energy were being pulled in multiple directions at once.
Here are some practical tips to focus your mind and actions and make your dreams a reality.
- Pause. Stop. Breathe. Put aside distractions, from the meaningful to the mundane. Take a moment to step back and be present to reconnect and concentrate on the things that truly matter. With this clarity, it will be much easier to get and stay focused.
- Write a plan. Mental planning is great, but it seldom amounts to more than wishful thinking. When you write a plan, suddenly your vision of success takes shape. Listing your goals on a piece of paper makes them concrete — and a written plan will help you accomplish them.
- Take action. Once you’ve written a plan, the next step to getting focused is both simple and difficult: take action. Taking action creates momentum and the focus you’ll need to make your path to success a reality.
- Learn to say “No.” Steve Jobs said, “Focusing is about saying no.” Even if you start out with crystal clear focus, you’re likely to get distracted on your journey to success. When you find this happening, stop. Learn to say “No.” to everything that is holding you back from getting where and what you truly want.
- Take stock & clear the clutter. When thinking about big plans and goals, it’s easy for your mind to fill up with a million “buts” and “what ifs.” These doubts and fears clutter your focus and keep you from reaching your potential. Spend some time addressing your fears, then clear them from your mind to help you see and focus more clearly.
Focus on the Future …
At Leap Forward Coaching we have a process that will help you focus on what’s important, hone in on the goals that will change your life, and channel your energy to make your dreams reality.
To leave a comment, share this newsletter on social media, or see links to other newsletters and my blog, please visit www.leapforwardcoach.com.
Complimentary Coaching Meeting
If I have piqued your curiosity about the value of coaching for you or someone you know, please contact me for a complimentary coaching meeting to explore what coaching can do for you. Explore what coaching can do for you!
© 2014, Leap Forward Coaching