Harness the Power of ConfidenceMarch 10, 2015
Confidence is our greatest personal resource. With it, we can face our fears and overcome any obstacles. Without it, we’re destined to fail. If you’ve ever heard your inner voice questioning your talents, your smarts, or your abilities, this month’s newsletter is for you! We’re talking about how to harness the power of confidence.
Words of Inspiration
“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t, you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford
“If you hear a voice within you say ‘You cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.” ~ Vincent Van Gogh
“We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face … we must do that which we think we cannot. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Harness the Power of Confidence
Self-confidence is belief in our abilities and ourselves. It’s knowing we can face our fears and handle any situation that comes our way. Confidence is an expectation of a positive outcome, summed up in two words: “I can!”
If you’ve ever struggled with confidence, you know how crippling self-doubt can be. It can keep you from setting goals, taking action, and boldly pursuing your dreams. By harnessing the power of confidence you can make your dreams a reality. Granted, there’s no quick fix or solution. Confidence takes time to develop and grow. The good news is — it’s within your reach!
Assess Your Assets – Start by conducting a self-inventory of your strengths and assets. Take an online assessment like Strength Finders 2.0 or create a list of your talents, your skills and your abilities. Keep a journal, daily or weekly and write down your accomplishments. Keep your list or journal visible and use it as a reminder that you have what it takes. Over time you’ll see your preparation, hard work and talents paying off and your confidence will grow.
Practice Positive Thinking – Once you’ve identified your strengths, learn to recognize and challenge negative self-talk that can erode your confidence. Next time you hear your doubting inner voice, ask yourself:
- What evidence do I have that this thought is true?
- How does this thought support me?
- What might be more positive and supportive?
Then, take that new thought and repeat it to yourself until it naturally replaces the former negative thoughts and becomes your positive “go-to” belief. Apply the power of confidence in your life and you will reap the rewards and feel the satisfaction of belief in yourself!
Tips to Harness the Power of Confidence: Start Today!
- Manage your mind. Self-doubt is often at the root of lack of confidence. Feeling you aren’t enough can hold you back from tackling life head on. When doubt creeps in, create or adopt a mantra like the one from the movie The Help, “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” Then say it 40 times a day!
- Be prepared. Whether it’s for a presentation or your child’s birthday party, simply being prepared goes a long way towards building confidence. It’s empowering to know you’ve done all you can to be ready.
- Take action — any action. When you doubt yourself, it’s difficult to take action. Believing you can’t often means you won’t. Taking even the smallest step towards your goal creates a snowball of confidence that will have you rolling headlong towards success in no time.
- Create it and become it. Mom knew best when she said, “Put a smile on your face and you’ll feel better.” Stand up straight, maintain eye contact and smile and you may be amazed at how much more confident you’ll feel.
- Accept that you’re human. When you have a misstep and things don’t go as you hoped, be gentle with yourself and recognize that no one is perfect. Instead of beating yourself up, accept and take responsibility for your part, learn from it, and then move on.
Focus on the Future …
At Leap Forward Coaching we have a process to help you harness the power of confidence to maximize your joy and effectiveness in every aspect of your life. Our thoughtful methods help you draw on your inner strength to live your best life!
To leave a comment, share this newsletter on social media, or see links to other newsletters and my blog, please visit www.leapforwardcoach.com.
Complimentary Coaching Meeting
If I have piqued your curiosity about the value of coaching for you or someone you know, please contact me for a complimentary coaching meeting to explore what coaching can do for you!
© 2015, Leap Forward Coaching